Friday, July 15, 2011

#24 Skinnybones by Barbara Park

Recommended to kids ages 9-11. Alex is the main character in this hilariously funny book. (When I read it I laughed so hard that I almost cried!) The thing about this story, is that it is just so fun, funny, and real, its as if Alex is actually writing the book! For example, listen to the opening sentence: My cat eats Kitty Fritters because if she didn't... She would probably die. Barbara Park does such a good job of portraying Alex, that it is like he is talking to you the whole time! Alex is a character who is big, strong, and tough... Or so he wishes. But what he lacks in his athleticism, he more than makes up for in his mouth!  He is a class clown, and known for his tall tales and exaggerating. It all makes for a funny book!
This is another one of those books that the author wrote meaning to create a story for boys, but I think that girls will definitely enjoy the laugh-out-loud humor in it also. 1/2    

1 comment:

  1. I really like Barbara Park! She is a great author.

    ReplyDelete